In this post, we’re going to cover super-easy methods you can utilize to shorten a video on various devices to create attention-grabbing visuals and get your message out effectively.
How to shorten a video quickly and easily
Making a video is perhaps your best choice when trying to promote your brand, tell a story, or capture precious memories. But sometimes, you may not require the entire footage you’ve recorded.
Maybe your video file is too long to be shared on social platforms or it’s too large to play on mobile devices. Maybe some parts of the video are unusable, contain unwanted sounds, unnecessary frames, or maybe you just want to keep the most relevant, interesting bits instead of using the entire clip.
However, you may not have the technical skills for editing videos or the budget to hire a production crew or video specialist to shoot and trim your visuals. The good news is you don’t need them to shorten your video.
Whatever your reason for wanting to adjust the length of your video, there are various techniques and tools that you can use to achieve your purpose.
In this post, we’re going to cover super-easy methods you can utilize to shorten a video on various devices to create attention-grabbing visuals and get your message out effectively.
We’ll also share some editing tips that can help make the process smoother and supercharge your results.
Let’s dive in.
How to make a video shorter
There are three editing techniques you can use to reduce the length of your videos:
Trim off seconds from either end of your video — This process only allows you to snip off frames from only the beginning and/or end of your clip, so you have less content to work with.
Speed up your video — If you want to preserve the entire material while ensuring that the video takes less time to watch, you can modify the speed so it plays at a faster pace, and takes up less time.
Cut out content from any portion of your video — With this technique, you can remove unwanted content from any part of your clip—rather than just the beginning or end—to reduce the overall length. This way you get to keep only the relevant segments.
Top online tool for cutting and editing videos
If you want to trim or cut your videos online without going through the trouble of downloading and installing editing software on your device, Keevi is one of the best options out there.
You don’t need any professional editing experience or technical know-how to use this tool. The interface is intuitive and easy to master so you can shorten a video to your desired length and walk away with a perfect finished product in minutes.
Keevi allows you to reduce the length of your clip by trimming or cutting the relevant parts of your video into multiple parts as needed without ruining the original quality.
Free to use.
Fast video processing speed.
Offers additional editing features such as video compression, rotation, crop, GIF maker, subtitling, special effects, video converter, add music, add watermark, and more.
Highly customizable interface and multi-track editing support.
Supports videos in multiple formats including AVI, Xvid, DivX, MPEG4, VOB, MP4, MPEG 1/2, FLV, MKV, and MOV.
Maintains file quality after trimming or cutting.
Works on Windows and macOS systems.
How to shorten your video with Keevi
Follow these simple steps to edit your clips to the desired length and create captivating publish-ready content.
Load the clip you want to shorten by dragging and dropping it in the box or browsing through your files and selecting it, then wait a few seconds for the video to upload.
2. Choose a portion of the video to trim or cut
Use the blue arrowheads to select the segment you’d like to remove, then click the trim or cut button to make the edit. You can adjust the start and end times to trim frames off either or both ends of your video. Keevi will then trim your clip down to the highlighted/leftover portion.
Repeat this process until you’re left with only the portions of the video that you want to keep.
3. Select the desired format and export the final product
Once you’re satisfied with the edits you’ve made, you can choose a format for your clip depending on the distribution channel it’s intended for.
Since you removed sections from your video, the final clip will be shorter than the original video you uploaded. Click the Export button to save your video and publish it on social media or share it with friends and family.
How to shorten a video on Windows and Mac
Did you know you can utilize the in-built features on your Windows 10 or Mac computer to shorten your video in just a few clicks. Here’s how to do it:
For Windows 10
1. Go to your library and find the video you want to edit, then right-click on it and select Open With from the list of options followed by Photos.
2. Your file will open in the Photos app. Click on Edit and Create in the top right corner, then select Trim from the drop-down menu to begin making changes to your clip.
3. Move the blue sliders from the beginning or end of your video to reduce the length and trim off the unwanted bits. You can click on the Play icon to preview the edited video.
4. Once you're satisfied with the changes, click the Save as button to save your shortened video to your device.
5. If you want to shorten your video without trimming off any part of it, you can select the Create video with text option under the Edit and Create tab, then click Speed to make your video play faster. You can even add special effects if you want to take your editing to the next level.
6. Go to the folder where you saved the video file and you’ll find the trimmed copy of your clip.
Alternatively, you can reduce the length of your video using the Movies & TV or Films & TV app—the name differs depending on where you live. All you have to do is:
1. Find the video you’d like to edit, right-click on it and select Open With > Movies & TV from the pop-up menu.
2. When the video loads, tap the Edit button, and select Trim from the list of options.
3. Your video will be opened in the Photos app studio, where you can use the blue sliders to trim your clip to the desired length. Afterward, click on Save as to save the final result.
We're going to walk you through the two simplest and fastest methods you can use to shorten the length of your videos on your Mac.
Use QuickTime Player
1. Launch the QuickTime application.
2. Click File, scroll down the popup menu, and click Open File to find the video you want to edit. Or go to the folder where your video is saved, right-click on it, then select Open With > QuickTime Player.
3. When the video opens, click the Edit tab, then scroll down the menu and select Trim.
4. You'll see a yellow trimming bar around your video, and on the right side, you'll find Trim and Cancel buttons. Drag the yellow bars from the beginning and or end to highlight the portion of the video you want to keep.
5. You can preview what your video will look like after trimming by clicking the play icon. If you're satisfied with the result, select Trim to cut out the parts of the video outside the yellow bars.
6. To save the trimmed clip, click File, then scroll down and click Save or Export.
7. Give your trimmed video file a name, select your preferred format, choose a destination folder then click Save.
Use the Photos App
1. Launch the Photos app and double click the video you want to shorten.
2. Hover over the file and click the gear button ⚙, then select Trim.
3. Adjust the yellow sliders around your video to the spots where you want your video to start and end.
4. Click the play icon to preview your clip, then choose Trim on the right side to save the changes.
5. You can undo a trim at any time by opening the video, clicking Edit, followed by the gear ⚙ button, and selecting Reset Trim.
Best android apps for trimming video clips
If you’d like to shorten videos directly on your android device, the following apps offer excellent editing capabilities.
This video editor lets you easily perform basic functions like cutting, trimming, adding music, filters, etc. You can format your video to fit the specific requirements of YouTube, Instagram, and other social media platforms. FilmoraGo also offers advanced features like add transitions, special effects, reverse videos, and slow-motion in case you want to add a little extra oomph to your video.
You can import your videos straight from social media, trim them, and export them right back in just a matter of minutes.
YouCut lets you cut out content from any section of your video or adjust the start and end times to shorten the length of your clips. You can also split your video into multiple parts with this tool.
This android editor is free to use. However, you’ll have to watch an ad every time you want to save an edited video. To get rid of the ads and get unlimited access to all features, you can subscribe to the paid plan at $3.99/year or make a one-time payment of $9.99.
If you’re looking for how to edit video length on android, this full-featured editing tool is hard to beat. Beyond trimming, cropping, cutting, and merging, Adobe Premier Rush offers multi-layer editing, motion graphics, dozens of templates, fonts, effects, color grading, customized animated titles, sound balancing, built-in camera functions, and more.
The app’s interface is fun, easy-to-use, and fast. It automatically converts your videos to suit the required video formats and quality of each platform.
KineMaster is one of the most popular and powerful video editing software for Android. It allows you to import videos by dragging and dropping them into the main window. You can perform all kinds of basic and complex edits—audio mixing, blending, 3D transitions, chroma-keying, and more—to create professional-looking videos in a matter of minutes.
The app enables you to trim your videos with frame-by-frame precision or reduce your video length by changing the speed rate. You can even create videos directly on KineMaster and export them to any platform of your choice.
+ Multi-layer editing
+ Comes in free version
+ Frame-by-frame volume control
- Free version videos are watermarked
How to edit video length on iPhone
Thanks to the invention of powerful mobile technologies, you no longer have to be glued to your desktop device to effectively perform creative tasks like video editing.
We’ve put together a list of some of the best iOS video editor apps that can help you trim and edit your footage to perfection.
This app comes preinstalled on your Apple device and is one of the fastest ways to edit videos on your iPhone. All you have to do is open it, select the file you want to shorten, trim it down to your desired size.
Also, you can perform additional actions like animate your titles, slice frames, add effects, text, filters, transitions, and music. You can even create an awesome trailer for your video with this app.
Brought to you by the popular video-sharing platform, Vimeo, this tool helps you make high definition videos and perform edits like trimming, file rendering, audio adjustment, adding themes, soundtracks, titles, etc.
Cameo is easy to use, especially if you’re looking to carry out simple editing tasks like reducing the duration of your video. It lets you import videos from your camera roll, and save them to the same location after you’re done editing.
If you use an iPhone and are wondering how to shorten your clips without going to great lengths to do so, VivaVideo is one of the best apps you can use to make your videos more engaging and unique.
You can import the recording you want to make changes to, trim or cut it, then add text, filters, effects, slow/fast motion, and share them with your social network very easily. VivaVideo is designed to help everyone make videos that look professional.
Splice is an award-winning video editor for iOS devices from the action camera giants, GoPro. It’s designed to give you a complete desktop editing experience on your mobile.
All you have to do is download and install the app, then import the video you’d like to shorten and tap to highlight the parts you want to keep. The app will automatically trim your video after which you can make any other necessary edits to it.
Your shortened video can be saved to your camera roll, shared directly on social media, or you can copy the links and send them privately to anyone you want.
+ Free to use
+ Robust editing features
Can VLC be used to shorten clips?
Although VLC Media Player is not marketed as a video cutter or editor, it can still help you get the job done as long as you’re not looking to make fancy, complicated edits.
VLC offers basic trimming, cutting, and cropping capabilities to its users to help them get the most out of their videos, movies, and audio recordings. It supports diverse video formats and operating systems including Windows, macOS, Linux, Ubuntu, Android, iOS, and Unix.
Regardless of the device you're using, here's how to make videos shorter with VLC in a few easy steps:
1. Download and install VLC if you don't have it already. Launch the app and select View from the menu bar on the home page, followed by Advanced Controls from the drop-down menu.
2. You'll notice a recording bar at the top of the regular control buttons. Now, find and open the video you want to shorten or drag and drop it into the player window.
3. Scroll to the point where you want your trimmed video to start from or simply let your video play to that spot, then hit the red record button or press your Shift+Rkeys to start trimming.
4. A Recording notification should appear on your screen when you start recording. When your video reaches the point where you want it to end, tap the record button or Shift+ R keys again to stop trimming. The player should display Recording Done when you stop the editing process. If you don't see this notification, don't be alarmed, your clip will still be trimmed and saved in the background.
5. To view your trimmed video clip, go to your default videos folder and scroll down until you find it. You can search for it by typing "vlc-record" into the search bar.
How to edit the length of a YouTube video
If you regularly create and upload content on YouTube, there may have been times when you noticed an error in your video after it was already up and running. Maybe you had to take down the entire video, fix the error, and go through the stress of reuploading it. Or maybe you simply accepted defeat and let the video remain as is because you were in no mood to start the upload process over again.
Fortunately, this never has to happen again because YouTube offers a quick and easy way to edit your videos using its in-built editor without having to re-upload the entire file.
If you're not a content creator but are looking for how to cut video clips, you can also use the YouTube Video Editor. You just have to upload the video to your profile first.
1. Go to your YouTube page and click on your profile picture icon in the top-right corner, then scroll down the menu and select YouTube studio.
2. You'll be taken to the studio dashboard. From here, scroll to the left side of your screen and click Content. If you need to upload the video first, scroll to the top-right corner and tap the Create button, followed by Upload videos and follow the instructions.
3. From the Content page, hover your mouse over the video you want to shorten and select the Pencil 🖍 icon from the options that appear. On the next page, click on Editor from the menu, and tap Get Started.
4. At the top of the screen, you'll find the Undo and Redo buttons on the left and the Discard Changes and Save buttons on the right. Near the bottom of your screen, you've got the Trim button. To begin editing, tap the Trim button, then drag and place the playhead at the point where you want to begin trimming.
5. Once you identify your starting point, scroll to the options bar at the bottom of your screen and click on Split. The playhead line will change to a dark blue color. Click and drag it to make a split of the parts you want to cut out from your content.
6. Click the Preview button at the bottom to create the split. The portion of your video that you want to be removed will be highlighted in a darker shade. To see what your edited video will look like, tap the video player window.
7. If you want to keep trimming off segments from your clip, repeat steps 4-6 until you're left with only the parts of the video that you want. When you're done, scroll to the top of your screen and click Save to save changes or tap the three dots icon to save your shortened clip as a new video.
8. Wait for your video to get processed. Once it's ready, head over to your main studio page, click Content, hover over the video, select the Three dots button, and click Download to save the video to your device. You can also copy the link and share your video on social media or with your friends.
Why you need to trim videos?
The length of your video will determine whether people watch it to the end or abandon it after a few minutes. Studies show that after two minutes, there’s a drastic drop in the amount of engagement a video gets. However, the decline in engagement begins to level off between the 6 to 12-minute mark, after which it crashes again.
This means that videos that are less than two minutes long generate the most engagement, followed by videos that are longer than 6 minutes, but less than 12 minutes, so you should try to aim for these sweet spots.
Beyond engagement, here are some other reasons why shorter videos are more beneficial than longer ones.
Wider audience reach — Since more people are likely to view and engage with shorter videos, it’ll increase the chances of your content getting to a larger group of people.
Increased shareability —92% of mobile users share the videos that they watch, but they’ll only do so if the content is short, interesting, relatable, and entertaining.
Easier to capture attention —5% of people will abandon your video after one minute and 60% will stop watching after two minutes. Keeping your videos concise will enable you to effectively attract and retain all those short attention spans. Assume that your viewers don’t have a lot of time to spare. Focus on sharing only important information and trim off the excess.
When optimizing the length of your video, it’s vital to take your target audience and intended distribution channels into consideration. This will better position you to make the most of each precious second.
What to consider when selecting a video editing tool
There are tons of video editing tools with different kinds of features. Some are more advanced than others and better suited to certain objectives. With the extensive range of options out there, shopping for the right editing tools can be a confusing experience.
To help make the selection process less daunting, here are the basic features that every high-quality video editing software should have:
Must-have qualities of video editing software
Why it matters
A good editing tool should offer a variety of functions such as special effects, transitions, the ability to add text, graphics, music, and more alongside cutting, trimming, cropping, and merging options. You may not need them, but it’s good to know they’re there if you do.
You want to choose software that works for your budget. If you’re just looking to carry out basic editing like trimming, cutting, or cropping, you can go with a free tool. For more advanced needs, be prepared to spend some bucks.
Intuitive design and workflow
Some tools are very complicated and will take you a long time to master. If you’re a beginner, go with a tool that has an easy learning curve.
Video format support
Ideally, your video editor should be compatible with all the major video input and output formats. Make sure the one you choose will support your exact formatting needs.
Conclusion: Essential video editing tips to help you get started
Creating or producing an exciting, attention-grabbing video isn’t rocket science. It doesn’t have to stress you out or consume too much of your time. As long as you’re working with the right bag of tricks you can edit videos like a pro and create killer visual content whenever you want.
How to apply it
Think of how you want the final product to be
Before you start editing or even shooting your footage, you should have an idea of how you want your video to turn out and the purpose you want it to serve.
Choose the right tool
The right video editing software for you is the one that’s easy to master and has enough features to help you get the work done. Make sure you research your options and their price before deciding on the tool.
Tell a good story
Who’s your video intended for? What’s it meant to do? Knowing these answers will help tailor your video to tell a compelling story that’ll resonate with viewers and keep them hooked to the very end. Any part of your clip that doesn’t add to the story you’re trying to tell is irrelevant. Take it out.
Don’t be scared to experiment
It’s amazing how much you can transform a video with the help of editing. Feel free to try new tricks and take note of how they improve your clip. It’s the only way to truly get better at the process.
Keep it simple
Complex transitions and effects might seem mind-blowing and make you feel like a creative genius, but would your viewer really be impressed by it? Does it contribute to their viewing experience? Embrace simplicity and save the special effects for when it makes absolute sense to use them.
There’s so much that goes into crafting compelling, thoughtful videos, but it’s not as challenging as it seems. Cutting your videos short can help you create more meaningful content that captivates viewers. Luckily, there are plenty of tools that can help you resize your videos and take them from zero to one hundred.