What’s a Rich Text element?
The rich text element allows you to create and format headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, images, and video all in one place instead of having to add and format them individually. Just double-click and easily create content.
- hello text text
- hello two
How to customize formatting for each rich text
Headings, paragraphs, blockquotes, figures, images, and figure captions can all be styled after a class is added to the rich text element using the "When inside of" nested selector system.
Imagine what’s like to stream a large video file that’s buffering or downloading and uploading a large video file that takes forever?
How about splitting the video into small pieces for faster streaming, uploading and downloading? It's not as hard as it sounds. Believe it or not, all you need is a perfect video splitting tool to get the job done.
About Split Video
Video splitting involves breaking a long video into multiple shorter clips. Splitting helps to:
- Enhance uploading speed
- Make a video easier to follow
- Allow addition of clips to make a video a lot more engaging
- Improve the quality of the video
- Make a video more interesting
In this post, we will discuss several ways to get you video splitting like a pro in simple and easy to follow steps.
Wondering how to split videos? Let's get started.
How to Split Videos: 5 Options to Getting it Done
Some of them are freely available while others will cost you.
- Split video online
- Split video using splitter software
- Split with VLC media player
- Split with video editor
- Split video on phone
Option1: Splitting Video Online
There are various free online web tools you can make use of to split your long video into smaller parts. These tools include:
Want to make your videos awesome? Then, make Keevi your go to place for video editing. It’s incredibly easy to use with excellent functionality and editing features.
Keevi is a free online video editing tool that converts your content into high resolution videos. These videos can be easily shared on social media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn.
All it requires is dropping your video here and you’ll be on your way to splitting your video like a pro.
Steps to using Keevi for video splitting:
Step 1: Upload the clip you want to edit.
Step 2: Use the slit tool to remove unnecessary parts and merge what you want to keep.
Step 3: Hit Export and you are ready to go.
In addition, Keevi can help you with the following:
- Add subtitles
- Add images
- Add text
- Add stickers
- Adjust videos
- Add audio
- Set layout for video display
Here’s how to use Clipchamp for video splitting.
Go to Clipchamp , start a project and add your video to the media library then follow the steps below to split your video.
5 easy steps of splitting video with Clipchamp
Drag the video into the timeline
Click on clip to select the clip you want splitted
Place the scrubber on the exact position you want to split the video
Split by clicking on the scissors icon. Repeat the steps for multiple parts
Delete any unwanted clip by clicking on the trash icon.
3. Adobe Premiere Rush
To use this tool, follow the steps below:
- Import your video file from your media to Adobe Premiere Rush by clicking on the + button and select add media on mobile or create a new page on desktop. Go to your media storage location and select create to add your media to your timeline.
- Move the playhead to where you want to split the video.
- Click on the scissors icon to split.
- Export your video in the format of your choice.
4. Split video
Split video allows you to split your video file using 4 methods:
- Free splitting
- Average splitting
- Splitting by time, and
- Splitting by file size
Free splitting allows one to make a choice on the number of clips and duration. Average splitting allows a video to be split into two pieces while splitting by time is based on specified duration. Splitting by size allows splitting based on specified size.
To make use of this free online tool:
- Go to split-video.com, click on the choose file button and select the file you are interested in splitting.
- Choose your preferred splitting method from the available 4 options.
- Set the split parameter.
- Process and save your video file on your computer.
This is an easy to use online video splitter. Follow these steps to get your video split in no time:
Step 1: Go to Veed.io and upload the specific video you want to split.
Step 2: Drag the playhead on your video’s timeline to the exact point you want to break your video.
Step 3: Click on the split button.
Step 4: If you want to split into numerous parts, keep repeating steps 2 and 3.
Step 5: Merge the multiple parts together by dragging the video parts next to each other.
Step 6: If you need to delete a part, select that specific part, right click and choose delete.
Step 7: Now click on download.
This is a simple yet powerful online editing tool to help you create engaging videos and images.
Follow these steps for video splitting using Kapwing:
Step 1: Locate your video from the online platforms and click on the copy video link.
Step 2: Upload the video by visiting Kapwing and click on start editing, paste the copied URL and click upload.
Step 3: To split your video, first click on the duplicate scene, then click on the video in the first
scene and select trim on the menu. Drag the end button to the position where you want to split the first session of your video at.
Finally go to the second scene and trim the remaining half of your video by dragging the left button to where you want the next session to start.
Step 4: Download by clicking on the publish button to get your split video.
Option 2: Split Video by Using Video Splitter Software
You can make use of a software to split videos in batches without worrying about the loss of quality. You can choose either free or paid software for this purpose.
Here are the details of each option.
Best free video cutter and joiner software
1. MiniTool MovieMaker
This is a free video splitting and editing software meant for use in personal computers. It allows one to easily split and combine videos with strong editing features that produce great videos in a matter of seconds. To split using MiniTool MovieMaker, follow the steps below:
- Download and install a free MiniTool MovieMaker on your PC.
- Click on the ‘import media files’ button to import the video you are interested in splitting. The file will be listed in ‘my album’ from where you can drag it to the timeline.
- Split the video by clicking on the scissors icon.
- Click Export and save.
2. Movie Maker 10
To split using this free software:
- Download Windows Movie Maker.
- Click add videos and photos to import the video to split.
- Drag the playhead to where you want the video cut.
- Click on video tools, select edit, then split.
- Click on save.
3. Microsoft Photos
Microsoft Photos is a software for Windows 10 users to split and trim videos using the hidden Windows 10 video editor photo app. It allows for video splitting without the need for a third party program.
To use it:
- Install the free Windows 10 photo app.
- Click on the add video button to add and name your video.
- Import the video to split into the Windows 10 hidden video editor.
- Select your video and click on the split icon.
- Drag the lollipop icon to your desired video split point.
- Click Done and Finish to save the split video.
MP4Tools is suitable for splitting an MP4 video. This free 2 in 1 software comes with an MP4Splitter for cutting videos into various parts and an MP4Joiner for merging video pieces together.
This easy to use software allows splitting and joining together of files without the need to re-encode.
To use this software, you need to:
- Load the mp4 video file you want to split to Mp4Tools app.
- Define the split points for the video.
- Click start splitting.
iMovie is a software specially designed for users of Mac operating systems (iOS). It not only enables you to split and edit your video but also allows you to transform it into a magical Hollywood-like movie using its simple video editing tools.
To use this for splitting a video:
- Create your iMovie project and add the video you want to split to the timeline.
- Scroll the timeline and drag the playhead to the point at which you want to make the split.
- Pinch open at the center of the timeline to zoom in on the clip.
- Tap on the video, and click on the scissors button.
- Click on split.
Being a versatile converter, FormatFactory allows conversion of various video formats, extraction of videos from CD or DVD to the PC as well as splitting and merging of videos.
For video splitting using FormatFactory:
- Download and install FormatFactory.
- Select your desired output video format from the side bar.
- Go to add a file to load your video.
- Click operations.
- Set the start and finish time at the point you want to make the split.
- Click on Ok and then Start.
Paid Video Editing Software
In addition to the free software options above, you may choose to select a paid software for video splitting purposes.
Are they actually worth your money is the million dollar question we explore in the following:
1. Pinnacle Studio
Pinnacle Studio offers a fast and easy to use video editing software to help break your video file into parts. They charge between $59.95- $129.95 depending on your desired package.
To use this software, follow the steps below:
- Download and install the Pinnacle Studio video editing software on your PC.
- Go to the edit tab to add the video to the timeline.
- Drag the scrubber to the position you want to cut your video at.
- Click on the split clips button.
- Repeat the same steps for multiple splits.
2. Bandicut Video Cutter
With the Bandicut Video Cutter, you can easily break your large video file into several parts without affecting the video quality. Using this software will cost you between $29.95 - $60.95.
Bandicut not only offers fast and effortlessless splitting but also enables merging, removal of parts, and trimming of videos. It also supports most popular video formats.
Follow these steps:
- First download the software.
- Click on the split button.
- Select the split method and click Ok.
- Finally click on the start button to begin splitting.
For your video splitting needs, you may want to consider VideoStudio that allows you to come up with multiple clips while maintaining the quality of the video. VideoStudio software costs between $63.99 - $79.99.
You will be able to make quality video splits simply by following these steps:
- Download and install the VideoStudio program.
- On the timeline, choose the video you want to split.
- Drag and place the scrubber on the position you want to make the split at.
- Click on the split button to break the video into two halves.
- Repeat the same for multiple parts.
Option 3: Split Video with VLC Media Player
You can use VLC Media Player editing tool to split your video file into manageable parts by following these 7 simple steps:
7 simple steps to split video with VLC
Step 1 Install VLC Media Player
The first step is to download and install the VLC Media Player and load your video into it. All video formats are supported by this app including 3GP, AVI, WMV, MPEG, MP4 among others.
Step 2 Record your video
Click on the View tab from the main menu and select advanced controls in the pull down menu. From the options, select Record. This will be useful while splitting.
Step 3 Select the split position
Drag the slider to the particular section where you want to split your video from. The slider will enable you to take note of time taken from the start of the video.
Step 4 Record
Click on the red record button appearing in the advanced controls toolbar to start recording.
Step 5 Play the video
Click on the play button and play the video up to the point where you want to split the video. Have the patience to wait until the video plays to the end without forwarding it to allow VLC recording in real time.
Step 6 Save
Click on the record button again once the video plays to the end in order to automatically save your already split video.
Step 7 Quit
To exit the program, click on the Media icon from the main menu bar and select Quit. To locate your split file, go to My Videos library folder on your PC and click open.
Option 4: Split Video Using Video Editor
Online video editors is another option. These are usually open source and readily available. Check out some of the best video editors below:
1. VSDC Free Video Editor
Looking for more precision, want to add on effects or simply export different parts of your video individually? With VSDC free Video Editor you will get to split your video quickly in three easy ways:
A. Split in a single click
You can split your videos in a single step by:
- Opening the file you want to split.
- Placing the cursor on the specific section you want to end the first part of the video.
- Opening the cutting and splitting menu, clicking on the razor-like icon to get your video split.
B. Split using markers while exporting your video
- Add your video to the scene.
- From the command bar, Click ‘export project’ tab.
- Next click on the ‘set markers’ button.
- Place the markers at the points where you want to split your video.
- Click ‘apply changes’ to initiate the split.
- From the bottom menu, go to additional settings icon and select split by markers box.
- Choose your desired video format.
- Click export.
C. Split to apply different effects on individual parts of a video
- Add your video to the timeline and right click.
- Select properties from the dropdown menu.
- Go to the splitting and cutting icon.
- Place markers on desired split points.
- Click on apply changes.
Wondershare Filmora offers both free and paid video editing tools.
Filmora editing tool allows you to split videos of any format in the following three ways:
With manual splitting, a video file goes through a number of steps before it gets split. To split using this method:
- First import your video to the timeline.
- Select your video from the timeline.
- Drag the playhead to the split point where the first part will end and the second part start.
- Click on the scissor icon from the toolbar to get your video split.
- Repeat the same steps for multiple parts.
- Click on save then Export and choose your desired video format.
This uses the scene detection feature to split videos whenever there is a scene change. To split your video using this feature:
- Right click on your video from the video library tab.
- Click on scene detection to enable the scene detection feature.
- Click detect to automatically split your video into parts.
Instant cutter tool
This is ideal for splitting large 4k video files and camera action videos. Follow these steps:
- On the Filmora app, go to the import menu and select import with instant cutter tool.
- Click open file.
- Click add segment.
- Select your desired clips.
- Click export.
AVS video editor is an editing program that allows you to split videos regardless of size and format. To split a video using AVS4YOU video editing tool, follow these steps:
Split video manually:
- Go to the timeline.
- Place the cursor on your desired split point.
- Click on the split button.
Split the video automatically
To automatically split a video, use the multi trim feature which allows splitting upon change in scene. Simply follow these steps:
- On the timeline, right click on the video.
- From the menu, select the multi trip option.
- Click detect scenes.
- Click ok.
Insert new scenes or transitions
After doing away with unwanted parts, new scenes and videos can be inserted in the midst of the remaining ones.
To do this:
- Select the video or image you intend to insert between scenes from the video library.
- Drag and drop it in the timeline between two scenes.
Option 5: How to Split Videos Using a Phone
In addition to the tools mentioned above, you can split videos using smartphones. This may be required due to the fact that some videos are too large for sharing and therefore would require editing tools to split.
How do You Split a Video on Android?
There are several free apps that allow video splitting on android devices easily and quickly. These include:
The makers of Story Split claim “This app will help you to split your video become any parts based on duration you set in the configuration so you could still upload your video partially.”
Follow these steps to split your video using Story Split:
6 easy steps to split video with Story Split
Step 1 Install Story Split
Go to the App store on your android device, click on download and follow the prompt instructions to install and set up the app to the end.
Step 2 Launch the app
Two options will appear on the main menu upon launching the app. To record a new video, tap on the record button. If your video is already recorded, go to the gallery option to import it.
Step 3 Grant permission
The app will require permission to access the gallery. Go ahead and permit.
Step 4 Select your Video
On the timeline, follow the screen to select and add the video you want to split.
Step 5 Set the split configuration time
You will need to set the duration for the split. Set the time and click on the select button to continue the process.
Step 6 Click on process
Wait till processing is complete. You will be able to view the split video once it has been processed.
With AndroVid video editor you can easily cut, edit, and merge videos on your android phone by following these steps:
- Download and install AndroVid Video trimmer on your phone.
- Tap and select the video you want to split on the timeline.
- Drag the cursor to where you want to split the video.
- Click on the scissors icon to split the video.
How To Split Video Clips on iPhone?
If you want to use an iPhone to split videos, then Videoshop is what you need.
Videoshop is an easy to use app that allows you to personalize your videos for sharing. It has features that allow you to add songs to your videos, trim out unwanted parts, add sound effects, merge several clips among others.
To split videos using Videoshop, follow the steps below:
- Download and install the videoshop app.
- Click on the + tab appearing on the upper right corner.
- To load your video in videoshop, tap on Import clip video.
- Go to select video to select the video to be split.
- Click done.
- Click on the scissors like icon.
- From the top of your screen, click split.
- Select your desired point of split by dragging the sidebar to that position.
- Upon your selection satisfaction, click on done.
- Your split video is now ready and will appear at the bottom of the screen separately from the original file.
What is the best PC software for splitting video?
We would recommend Keevi. This is because it’s free and user friendly. What's more - it has easy to use features, and most importantly it is compatible with all popular video formats.
How to split MP4 files?
To split MP4 files:
- Install MiniTool MovieMaker.
- Import your mp4 video file.
- Drag and drop the mp4 file to the timeline.
- Select the video.
- Drag the cursor to the start or the end of the video clip to split.
- Save the split video.
What is the best split and join software?
We would recommend Wondershare Filmora as the best video split and join software. With its intuitive and user friendly features, even a beginner will be able to join and split multiple videos in a single window easily. You can try it for free.
How many types of video files are out there?
Videos can be stored in various formats including:
This format allows for storage of audio and video files, still images and text providing high quality videos in small sized files. Otherwise known as MPEG-4, this format is among the earliest and most supported by digital platforms.
This video format has lower compression abilities compared to MP4 and as such produces very large size files usually 2-3 GB per video minute. It's therefore unsuitable for limited storage capacities.
This is used by Adobe Flash Player and it's mostly suitable for online video streaming platforms such as YouTube. The format presents easily downloadable small size video files.
This video format has a lossy compression as quality diminishes with edits. It is therefore suitable for files that don't require editing after recording. The result is small size low quality files. It’s best for movies.
This format allows for creation, editing, transfer and viewing of videos on 3G smart mobile devices, iPhones included. It’s primarily meant for videos on mobile phones.
Wrapping It Up
Splitting a large video into smaller parts is a smart technique for faster uploading, transferring and easy sharing on social media. Whatever your reasons, video splitting should be hassle free. With the various free and paid video editing tools available, it is harder rather than easier to select the best tool for video splitting purposes.
This is why we have made our recommendations in this guide, followed by how to use them in the step by step approach. What's more, If you need to edit your marketing videos, DIY might work but not for long, so why don’t you contact us today.